Due to clearing off weeds and planting green manure on the old allotment, I have neglected the digging on the new allotment but that will change next week.
To be reasonable with myself and not to apply too much pressure on joints, a trench will take me at least two days and possibly three to finish.
I have collected a lot of organic matter to add to the bottom of the trenches and I will put as much as I can into each trench.
|Taking out and sieving the top soil of trench three|
|The third trench top soil is put onto the previous |
trench top soil.
|The soil in this part of the allotment is a little 'thin' |
- meaning it does not have a lot of organic matter in it.
I dug the trench on across the allotment but I still have not taken the top soil out all the way across the allotment. Although this topsoil is pretty thin and lacking in organic matter, it looks quite good after sieving.
The second spit down will be sieved well in order to remove as many of the bindweed and mare's tail rhizomes as possible.
|Parsnips and peas in the new allotment.|
Some of the early sprouting broccoli have flowered so I will take them out and put them into the digging trench. Although I put these plants two feet apart they still seem to be crowded. I may give them even more space next year.
|Forked over old potato bed|
The wooden stakes are going to be used along the raspberry line. Wires will be stretched between them and the raspberry canes will be tied to the wires.
I am saving a lot of the bean seeds for next year. Sweet pea and garden pea seeds are being saved as well.