|Comfrey under the plum tree.|
|Victoria Plum Tree|
|Tall climbing pea supports|
I miscalculated how many rows of canes I would need for the sweet peas and had this row left over. These canes will be used for the tall growing peas. I am going to put the netting around the canes to give the peas something to grow up.
|Action of flea beetle|
Two of the sweet pea seedlings were killed but these were easily replaced with spares.
|Most recovered from flea beetle like this one.|
I have begun to put ties on the sweet peas but these ties will be used again when the plants start to go up the canes. All they are doing is keeping the plants upright and trained to the canes.
|Herbs alongside the path|
|Brassica seedlings will be planted here.|
|Sweed, kohlrabi and turnip seedlings|
The pigeons have started to peck at the kohlrabi so these will have to be covered with a net. I will cover all of the brassicas with nets to keep the birds off them. The swedes, kohlrabi and turnips will have to be thinned out later in the month to give them room to grow.
I thought that I had lost my big Adrienne blackcurrant but it seems to have revived. Only one of the cuttings has survived but I have been given two named Loganberries, "Ly 654". I don't know how well they will do but they add to the stock of soft fruit on the garden.
|Loganberries and blackcurrants|
|Broad beans and peas.|
|Peas and beans from the shed|
|New pond by the broad beans and peas.|
|Path going up to the greenhouse foundations|
Carrots covered with enviromesh.
The carrots are covered to keep Chamaepsila rosae, the carrot root fly, away from the seedlings. Covering after sowing the seed and keeping them covered throughout the summer is the only way I have discovered to keep the fly from laying eggs around my carrots.
|They don't look very big at the moment.|
|Leaning apple tree|
|Path to the little shed|
Although most of the raspberries have started to grow, I will probably have to cut them back this year. I have two varieties that I planted last year and they are fruiting well but the ones I planted earlier this year will need another year to build up their strength. The path was finished a couple of weeks ago and remarkably, the two foot square slabs fitted exactly. It wiggles a little to accommodate the shape of the hedge bank.
|Blackcurrants and gooseberries.|
|Earthed up potatoes.|
|Runner bean canes.|
I have put the runner bean canes next to the path so that I can pick from this side quite easily. When I plant out the runner seedlings, I will put netting around the bottom of the canes to protect them from the frost and wind. Once they start climbing up the canes and are more stable, I will remove the netting and put it in the store shed.
|Clematis growing up the shed.|
I have planted three clematis plants to cover the shed. Their roots are in shade most of the day but the tops are in sun. The rhubarb will shade the roots too. This is the heritage rhubarb and does not grow very big. My main rhubarb is at the old allotment and had to stay there because it was far too late to move them. I still haven't dug over the bed that I want to put them on. I have a bit more land on the left hand side as you look down towards the little shed but it needs careful clearing of mare's tail and bind weed.
|New pond and sundial.|
The pond is full of frog tadpoles that a friend of mine gave me. I am hoping that they will develop well and eat all the slugs on the allotment. I put the pond here because I am going to direct the water from the gutters on the greenhouse into the pond. With any luck this will keep the pond fairly full during the summer. Any overflow will be drained away by the stones under the path. Also, I want to put a solar pump in the pond to aerate it and I can put the solar panel in the greenhouse for safety.
The allium bed has had nematode worms watered onto it. The blue water piping will be used to support an enviromesh cover over the onions. I will probably use one over the leeks too. Garlic, shallots and elephant garlic are growing very well.
|Site for the greenhouse|
There is just enough room on the left hand side of the greenhouse foundations for a double row of climbing French beans. On the left hand side of the path opposite the pond will be where the cold frame will be sited.
So lots of bare ground now that I have dug in all the green manure. All the beds are ready for planting up and this is what I will be doing for the next few weeks.