Friday 20 November 2015

Apple Grafting.

The apple varieties that I am going to use for grafting this year are:
Sturmer Pippin (1800) which is spur bearing apple that can be stored for about three months. 
Mosses Seedling (1953) which is spur bearing and can be stored for a relatively long time.
Claygate Pearman (1820) a spur bearing desert variety; can be stored for a couple of months. 
Bardsey (1953) spur bearing cooker which will store for a couple of months.
Court of Wick (1790) probably a spur bearing desert apple which will probably store for a couple of months. 
Gala (1949) a heavy cropping, possibly spur bearing which can be stored for a couple of months.
Christmas Pearman (1893) Not sure if it is spur bearing.  I hope it is. 
Kidd's Orange (1924) Spur bearing will keep until Christmas if kept in a cool store.
Coeur de Boeuf (1200s ?) Not sure if it is spur bearing.  Cooking apple
Ellis Bitter my first cider apple.  It really needs to be blended with something else so I will be using one of the other apples to mix with it. 

I am going to put them all onto M26 rootstock and then prune them to espalier to about 8 feet tall and 15 feet across.  I doubt if I will get them any bigger on M26 rootstock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment