|Taking out the first spit.|
|Same part of the allotment September 2013. The whole allotment had weeds like this so I covered it with carpets. In |
order to remove all the weed rhizomes, I triple sieved dug adding organic matter as I worked backwards down the
|Fungal hyphae on last years mulch. The whole allotment was mulched in 2015 and by the |
end of the season it had all but decomposed. The last of it was dug into the soil during
the winter. This has added a lot of organic matter to the top soil.
|The second spit taken out. You can see the organic matter, added in 2013 and in the photograph |
below, has decomposed leaving mainly the very thick wood.
|Trench in the same part of the allotment 2013. The soil does not have very much 'body' to it and the sandy clay texture |
is quite obvious.
I dug down another spit to see if I could find the woody material I put at the bottom of the trench two years ago and started to find some of the thick stuff. All the finer material had completely decomposed leaving only traces behind.
|Adding woody organic matter in September 2013. I needed to improve the organic content of the soil and the only way|
to do this was to triple, sieve dig adding as much organic matteras possible.
|Added woody material. Now that a lot of organic matter has been added to the soil, its |
fertility and water holding capacity is slowly improving. However, I will still continue to
add as much organic matter as I have available.
I dug out a spit of subsoil from further along the trench to cover the prunings. This was not done particularly carefully because it was going to get raked to level it off.
|The white beam prunings. This will include large logs, branches and brushwood.|
|Lots of organic matter added to the trench in 2013. All this organic matter has decomposed only leaving the very thickest|
of the wood. The allotment soil has been raised about eighteen inches above the level of the track way.
Although I had several bags of this organic material, I did not have enough to fill the trench for the whole length. I emptied two of the Daleks of compost and wheel barrowed it to the trench. There was just enough to fill the trench to the end. The empty Dalek compost bins were used to cover the Victoria rhubarb.
|Empty compost bins over the rhubarb.|
|Same area of the allotment 2014|
None of the Victoria rhubarb is showing yet but I like to get the bins on in good time. Picking the rhubarb and making the first rhubarb crumble means that spring has really begun.
I will be planting the peas in sectioned trays later on this month. My first sowing will be "Douce Provence" and they will be planted next to but two foot away from the vine supports.
Another sign that spring is just around the corner is the peach flowering.
|First flower on the peach.|
|The other buds are just showing colour|
I had a look at the remaining wood that I have for charcoaling but it was still very wet. I need a couple of days of dry weather before I can light a new charcoaling fire. There is more than enough wood to charcoal and to use for the fire. Any wood that is left over this time will be buried in the subsoil.
The bushes I planted alongside the carpark are not red currants but black currants. This would not be a problem but the bushes have big bud. Either I will have to take them out or cut them hard back to ground level. This is a little disconcerting.