|Filling the trench with organic matter.|
|Soil taken out of the trench. The canes are indicating where the rhubarb is.|
Once the rhubarb had lost its leaves in the second frost, I decided to move it a small distance. This will make the two beds either side of it a little more equal in area. I had to break a few of the larger roots but not too many. It is just like moving a herbaceous perennial in the flower garden. The roots can be divided like herbaceous perennials too. They got a good dose of sieved compost in the planting holes to give them a boost next spring.
I wanted to reduce the Victoria plum tree and cut out all the canker in its trunk. This meant virtually cutting it down completely. There was a water shoot growing low down and I thought that this might develop into a tree again given some time. The trunk and branches that were cut off could be put at the bottom of the trench.
Totally the wrong time of year to cut a plum but if the trunk and branches were to be
buried it would have to be done now. If I am lucky it wont get silver leaf disease.
|The American gooseberries. One of the mints growing through the gooseberry.|
|Subsoil dug from the bottom of the trench.|
I am emptying the compost bins and putting the compost in the trenches. It wasn't rotting down very quickly even though I was turning it every two days. I want to empty the compost bins and tidy them away before I get some more farmyard manure from the farm.
|I am putting this into the Hugelkultur trench on top of the|
branches and trunk pieces.
Taking out the woody chippings from the peach greenhouse means that any disease in the mulch is removed. I will be planting the tomatoes in the same place again next season and will need a base that has not had contact with tomatoes before. I am only going to put a couple of tomatoes here because the peach has got quite large and needs the space. The tomatoes shaded the peach quite a lot this year and I don't want that to happen again.
I am also taking out all the peach leaves and any disease on them. I removed and replaced about 20-30cm of chippings. It is a bit of a chore but much easier than changing top soil each year. The peach got its final winter pruning and I tried very hard to keep all the small side shoots that grew last year. These are the shoots that will have the fruit on them next season.
Fan trained peach in the small greenhouse. I don't know how long I will be able to keep it in
the greenhouse but I will probably have to move the greenhouse rather than the peach.
Some of the subsoil from the trench was used to straighten the path. I was trying to do it fairly quickly so it is not perfect but it is much better than it was. I don't think that I am going to do any more to the path unless I can find some more slabs to finish it off.
I ran out of slabs half way down the path so I finished it off with woody chippings.
My allotment on the left and Sue's on the right.
|Some willow herb weeds growing in the decayed woody chippings mulch.|
The Phacelia tanacetifolia has not been killed off by the frost as I was expecting. So the ground will be covered throughout the winter with this and trefoil. I will dig the green manure in during February or the beginning of March when I start to plant the sweet peas.
|Daphnia in the pots are still surviving.|
Red clover, crimson clover and broad beans
|Path between my allotments|
|More leeks and Phacelia tanacetifolia|
|Queen Cox apple.|
|Roots bed before I tidied it up.|
|Pruned the loganberry and blackberries hard so that they could be trained to the supports.|
|Top bed with mostly red clover green manure|
This espalier is a Newton Wonder - I think with Ben Sarek black currant this end andGooseberry 'Hinnonmaki Yellow' at the far end near the metal watering pots.
|Top bed the other side covered with green manure.|
Fan trained currant bushes behind the peach greenhouse.
|Path up to the greenhouse.|
The green manure didn't germinate very well on this bed so I have begun to cover it with sieved compost. It will have some farmyard manure dug into it during the winter.
Bay trees alongside the greenhouse for protection. I am pruning these to standard trees with
ball heads. The Egremont Russet espalier is in the background.
This is probably the best of the bays at the moment. The trunks look a little wobbly but
when they get a little bigger they straighten out.
|Not very good photograph of the brassica bed|
Cropping Brussel sprouts, kale, cabbage and kohl rabbi from this bed.
The Pear 'Doyenne du Comice' Espalier. .
|Greenhouse with the sweet peas and lupins. A few of the pumpkins have not been used yet.|
|One of the new apple grafts that I will prune to espalier.|
The two previous grafts of Norfolk Royal I have stepped on and broken. This one I was treating very carefully and put the supports around it to protect it. Somehow or other I endeavoured to damage it by knocking off one of the grafts. I think that this graft will grow on now and it means that I do not have to decide which of the grafts is the strongest to grow on. This is a good photograph of the woody chippings mulch that I have used over the whole allotment this year. Most of the mulch has rotted away now but I replenished this when I planted the apple. There is a piece of charcoal I added last year in the chippings. I didn't break this up like I usually do. I might find it and hit it with a bull hammer so that the smaller pieces can be incorporated into the soil a little more efficiently than this big piece is doing.