Sunday, 26 February 2012

Digging the bean trench.

The only reason I am triple digging the climbing French bean bed is because I have some brushwood from the hedge alongside my allotment.  I have cut the hedge right back beyond the fence so that more light can get onto the allotment.  There is also a 30ft x Cupressocyparis leylandii  beginning to grow through the fence.  I will be cutting this back as far as I can.

The woody branches are being put on top of some pernicious weeds given to me by one of the top allotments. The weeds were put at the bottom of the trench.  Leaves and turfs are being put atop that.  The subsoil and the top soil are being sieved back into the trench with additions of pigeon and horse manure.

This process produces some really good looking soil.

I decided to take the Takesumi bamboo charcoal to the allotment so that I could marinade it in comfrey liquid.   I am wondering if I can apply this to the ground using the watering can.  It is very fine dust and will easily pass through the rose holes.  It can mash a bit in the tubs for a while until I need to use it.  

Took up six of the Brussel sprouts plants to take home.  Then I gave two to Chris, one to Mike and Mr Singh took some off one or two plants.  Even with all of this I have four plants still left in the ground.  

I think that I may  water the winter cauliflowers, leeks, strawberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, rhubarb and gooseberries with comfrey liquid.  This will give them a good start at the beginning of the season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment