Wednesday 4 April 2012

Change in the weather

This change in the weather could be quite disastrous for anything put out in the warm weather.  This means mainly the sweet and culinary peas.  I was given some early lettuce and this may be caught by the frost too.  They might grow on if I am lucky but they will not survive a heavy frost.

I planted two rows of Pisum sativum "Dulce Provence", however one of the rows is under cloche protection and this might protect them from the worst of the cold weather.

It has been forecast rain, sleet, snow and frost.  There is no way that I can protect 180 plus sweet peas.

The carrot, parsnip, salsify and scorzonera seed that were planted in early March will survive because they do not seem to have germinated yet.

All the beds have been tested now and they are all about neutral or just slightly alkaline.  The test has indicated that there is a lack of nitrogen in the two top beds.  I think that either the test is wrong or that vegetebles don't need that much nitrogen because I get a lot of produce off these beds.

The soil temperature today was a balmy  nine degrees and this is warm enough for some germination.  The potatoes are fine at the moment because I have earthed them up quite high.  They will not emerge from the sol until the middle of April.  I have picked most of the tulip flowers.  They have flowered very early and will suffer if they are snowed on.

I have put all the plants back in the greenhouse and put the paraffin heater back on.  This will keep the frost off the tenderest plants.  If it snows and the plants are not in the greenhouse they will get flattened as well as frosted.  I have put all the plants back in the greenhouse and put the paraffin heater back on.

This will keep the frost off the tenderest plants.  If it snows and the plants are not in the greenhouse they will get flattened as well as frosted.  I have put all the plants back in the greenhouse and put the paraffin heater back on.  this will keep the frost off the tenderest plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment