Thursday 12 April 2012

Sowing more seed. Busy time...

I have sown some Cucurbita pepo "Rouge Vif d'Etamps"; Cucumis sativa "Wautoma";  Cucurbita pepo ovifera "Black Beauty" ;  Phaseolus vulgaris "Cherokee Trail of Tears" and "Cobra"; Brassica oleracea rapa "Oasis"; and  Zea mays "Northern Extra Sweet".

I thought that it was a little early for squash and fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) so I will delay sowing these for a couple of weeks.

The dill, cumin, chamomile, marjoram, tarragon, have finally all been pricked out into trays.  They are tiny seedlings and very fiddly.

I am hardening off celery, celeriac, shallots, asparagus, onion, chamomile, lettuce, cauliflower and cabbage.

I will be planting out cauliflower, cabbage, turnip, lettuce, broad beans, and onions in the allotment garden.  The weather, which is very showery is not being as kind as I would like it to be.  It looks like I am going to have to plant out in the rain.  The plants are outgrowing their pots and should be planted as soon as possible.

I will be protecting the cabbage and the cauliflower from pigeons using hoops and enviromesh.  This will be left on over the summer to keep cabbage white butterflies from laying eggs on the brassica foliage.  Using barriers is a much more effective way of protecting vegetables than using sprays.

No comments:

Post a Comment