I sowed the Charlie's Angels and Cirrus sweet peas today. Not sure about Cirrus because I haven't grown it before. I like the Charlie's Angels blue which is a little darker than Oban Bay.
I have several other sweet pea seeds that I haven't grown before but I am going to give them all a go. I was thinking of putting all the blues: Bristol, Charlies Angel, Blue Danube and possibly Karen Louise on the old allotment and the others on the new allotment.
I have found quite a few three inch pots after scrabbling about in the shed trying to put some order into my pots and seed tray box. While I don't think that I will have enough pots for all the sweet pea seeds, I will sow until I run out of pots and then leave the other seeds until I plant out some of the others. This way I will get a succession of flowers.
The temperature in the greenhouse was a balmy 12 degrees Celsius. This is quite good for December in UK. If this continues over the week, I might get some seed germination. If I do, I will not have any pots to transplant them into. The garlic and shallots will have to be planted out on the old allotment and that could be a problem particularly as the ground is so water logged.
The green manure where the onion bed will be this year is growing particularly big and could be dug in now. I might dig in a little just to see if it is possible or whether the ground is too wet.
This time last year I was hoping for some rain. This year I am hoping for some dry weather.
I couldn't get down to the new allotment to continue digging due to the rain but in the drier periods I cut the hedge back and filled another bag with the cuttings. There is still quite a way to go before it is finished so I will have a lot of brushwood to add to the tripple digging trenches.
I really need to crack on with the digging because I have quite a few plants that should be planted now.
An apple tree, autumn raspberries, bay trees, rhubarb, strawberries etc.
If it stops raining even for a little while I will make sure that this is my priority. Really, if I wasn't sieving both the top and the subsoil, adding manure, I would have finished it by now.