The soil temperature was 15oC today.
I'm not too sure whether this new allotment is an allotment too far. I took out another two trenches and filled them with weeds and compost. There is a great deal of mare's tail in the soil and I have found the roots three spits down in the subsoil. I am not going to try and get them all out. This is a long term project.
One of the old blokes came over and asked what I was going to use the new allotment for. That is a good question. Really I produce far too much on my other allotment so why I need this I don't know. It is a challenge and it will get me fit. Or do me a mischief...
I will also probably use it to put fruit on. I have a few blackcurrant cuttings that have rooted and they would do fine on this ground. I have cleared quite a bit by slicing off weed turfs and putting them in the trench. I have covered these with some compost and then some shredded branches.
The problem is that this is taking up a lot of my time and I wanted to get on on my clean allotment. After it got to about three o'clock, I decided enough was enough and went to plant the rest of the broad bean plants. I have got two rows out of them and they should fruit in a couple of months so that I can take them out and plant the brassicas.
Now that the soil has warmed up - 15oC today, I have put in three rows of parsnips in the bottom bed. Going on the surplus I had this year this will be plenty. I watered them in with some comfrey liquid. It was last years comfrey so I am not too sure how potent it is. It will not do them any harm in any case.
The strawberries got a good weeding and they also had some comfrey liquid too. I wanted to give the garlic and the winter cauliflowers some but I ran out of time. Being very tired after digging deep trenches, I decided that I would go home and have a good cup of tea.
Next time, remember to take a flask of tea with you.
I took a cursory look in the greenhouse when I got home. Most of the brassicas I sowed have come through which means that I will have to prick them out and that means that I will have to plant out all the sweet pea seedlings because otherwise I will not have room in the greenhouse.